9.15.2009

Happy Grandparents' Day

A few years ago I found out that there was a grandparent day.  I don't know how I went my whole life not knowing that; however, now that I know, I want to make sure I take a moment to honor my grandparents each year.  They have been a huge influence in my life. Although they are far away I want them to know that I love them and think of them all the time.  My eyes tear up just looking at their pictures. I wish that I could see them every Sunday after church like we did when we lived in Guatemala.  I thank my Heavenly Father for them and everything they have done for me and my family.  I'm especially thankful that I was able to go see them 2 years ago and that my family was able to meet them and see what great people they are.
While in Guatemala I was also able to visit my Amado grandparents.  This was also such a great experience.  It was as if I never left.  We talked and laughed.  Abuelita Carmen was so hospitable and loving as always and Abuelito Otto so tender and kind.  A few months after our visit my Abuelito Otto passed away.  I miss him!!! I still remember how great it felt as he kept hugging and kissing me on the forehead. 


My great-grandmother, Mama Licha is 108.  She is such a great, hard working woman.  She worked until she was 105 and the only reason she stopped was because of her doctor's request.  If it was up to her, she probably would still be working.  When we visited her in Guatemala we enjoyed listening to her stories. Can you imagine?  She has seen so many changes in the world.  I am so grateful that my kids were also able to meet their great-great-grandmother!
And I can't go without being grateful for the grandparents of my children.  They are also a great blessing in not only my life but my children's lives.  I'm am thankful that they are blessed with knowing all of their grandparents and sharing special moments and memories with them.  They are a very important part of my kids lives.

3 I love hearing from you!:

Pinky Homer said...

We have an amazing heritage don't we ... we are so blessed!!! Thanks for this amazing post ... but to correct you ... Mama Licha worked until she was 105...at least that's what Tia Regina told me in a recent email. Neither you nor I will ever be able to say that will we? HOW RUDE!

Gabby said...

Thanks for that clarification. I've changed it on my post.
We do have a great heritage!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Gabby. It is a pleasure to be your children’s grandma. I loved being a Mom and still do but being a Grandmother is wonderful. Opportunities to play with my grandchildren like I wish I could have with my children. When our children were growing up there was so much going on. Now, as age does, gives us a look at what really makes us happy and brings so much meaning to my life.

Love,

Doreen